When Mama is on hiatus, guess what? Don’t be surprised if you get a homemade Christmas gift!
Homemade gifts sometimes get a bad rap, why is that? A handmade gift is thoughtful and charming… unless it happens to be crocheted shorts for the men in your life! Though some people may appreciate that also. Crochet and knit projects can be awesome gifts to make and receive, but no one, I repeat, no one will be receiving crocheted shorts this year from Casa de Lien!
What I am interested in making is natural spa products to give some of my friends and family. I’m thinking of coconut oil-based whipped body butters and naturally-scented salt or sugar scrubs. Doesn’t that sound delightful?
I have been perusing the internet for easy recipes with not too many ingredients. Here are a couple I am going to start with, both from doTerra’s blog:
DIY: Coconut Salt Scrub
Smooth, glowing skin, is a must-have for warm spring weather. This coconut salt scrub will help exfoliate your dry winter skin and bring back its bright, youthful appearance.
What You Need:
1 cup organic virgin coconut oil
1 cup Pink Himalayan (or Epsom) salt
1/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
15 drops of your favorite essential oil
1. Melt coconut oil in microwave or over a double boiler.
2. Once melted, remove from heat.
3. Add Fractionated Coconut Oil and Pink Himalayan Salt into melted coconut oil.
4. Stir until combined.
5. Add essential oils.
6. Let sit until coconut oil solidifies, stirring every 10 minutes.
Tip: Put in refrigerator to speed up the cooling process.
7. Stir until well combined and store in an airtight container.
8. To use, rub on skin and rinse with warm water.
DIY- Whipped Body Butter
Who doesn’t love soft, moisturized, and healthy skin? But better yet- who doesn’t love getting those results without putting chemicals and artificial fragrances and dyes on their skin!?
The butters and oils used in this recipe and the perfect combination that will leave your skin moisturized for days after applying. Customize your whipped body butter with any essential oil of your choice. This also makes a great gift for anyone!
What You Need:
1/2 cup Shea Butter
1/2 cup Cocoa Butter
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
15 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil*
15 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil*
1 – Measure all butters and oils in glass jar.
2 – Fill a large skillet/saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the glass jar to the center of the saucepan to melt and combine ingredients.
3 – Stir every few minutes until the ingredients are melted and combined. (10-15 minutes)
Tip: Use a popsicle stick to stir for easy cleanup.
4 – Once everything is melted, remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Add desired essential oils.
5 – Once essential oils are added, let it rest in a cool place (such as the refrigerator) until it has set.
6 – Once chilled, take out of refrigerator. With a stand or hand mixer, start on low and slowly turn the speed higher until the lotion becomes light and fluffy (around 3-5 minutes).
7 – You’re done! Store mixture in a glass jar and keep in a cool place.
Note: The body butter should be stored in a cool place. If you need to re-fluff the body butter you can simply whip it back up to the consistency you like with a hand mixture.
This whipped body butter makes a great gift and can easily be customized by using your choice of essential oils. The options are endless!
* Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity so we don’t recommend using them if you plan on being in direct sunlight after topical application. The personal care products that dōTERRA produces such as the Salon Essentials, lotions, etc. are a little different. The shampoo and cleansers are wash off products so there is no concern there, as well as the products that stay on such as the lip balm and lotion are found in a small, appropriate amounts that will not cause any phototoxic harm. Because we work closely with experts in formulations, we are able to provide a safe formulation. Essential oils at full strength on their own are very potent and is why they carry the photosensitivity warning. doTerra
I plan to have a fun time creating these little spa goodies! What will you be making for the holidays?!!